April 06, 2007

Cherry Blossoms

I miss cherry blossom. 桜の花が見た~い!

I met a dorm mate at the bathroom today, and she said she visited Washington D.C. during the spring break and saw cherry blossom in full bloom!! I hear in Japan too it's in full bloom everywhere and is so beautiful.

After coming to Hawaii, I have missed 4 seasons of cherry blossoms so far. And how ironic it is that even at some parts of the mainland you can see cherry blossoms but not here! Hawaii is a pretty good place for Japanese students like me, providing ingredients for Japanese food at local supermarkets, and with a mixed culture that embraces lots of Asian heritage. But no sakura!

My replacement for sakura here is this shower tree. There is a big tree in front of the library that has light pink flowers at this time of the year. This is not as delicate as cherry blossoms, and would normally last longer, almost a month. You can tell it's very different if you get closer, but from the distance, I almost mistook it for cherry blossom tree. So, here it is.


No comments: