May 28, 2007

Packing for a trip

I'm almost done with packing for a three-week trip home. One of the missions of this trip is to bring home the things I want to keep in Japan (not bringing to a new location or throwing away), and to carry back winter clothes instead. According to the airline's luggage regulation, I can check in up to 2 luggages of up to 50 pounds (23kg) and carry on 1 bag that fits in the overhead compartment plus a purse. I'm using this limitation to the maximum this time, so I filled my sturdy travel boston bag with heavier items like books etc, my extra-large suitcase with lighter and more fragile items, and a carry-on backpack with electronics and others.

I just weighed the two check-in luggages with an old scale, and it seems the weight would be OK... The scale is a bit less reliable, and the suitcase could be slightly heavier than the regulation, and in that case, I'll have to move some to carry on the backpack. The problem I always have with the suitcase is that the suitcase itself is heavy (**;). This suitcase is the first one I bought about 7 years ago, and I didn't pay attention to its weight. The suitcase only weighs about 7-8 kg (15-17 lb), and that's already one third of the weight limit!! When I buy a suitcase next time, I should look out for a light and sturdy one.

No comments: