June 26, 2007

Medical Fees

I got a 'Report to Member' from the health insurance company in the mailbox today. I was just going out to get another immunization shot (the third time out of the five required), and an envelope from the insurance company always scares me a little... and think it might be a bill - but I also know it is not ;)

It is a report to show what the charge was, how much was paid by the insurance, and how much I owe the clinic. This seems to be sent because I go to the university health services (on-campus clinic) cash free (or just with copayment), the clinic bills the insurance, and the insurance company shows how the billing went.

According to the report, for the Hepatitis A & B immunization, the actual vaccine was $90, and the administrative fee was $15, so the total was $105. And that was all paid by the insurance! Actually, this is only the first of the three dozes, and if I pay out of pocket three times, that is $415 total...

I am soooo glad I have the health insurance.