November 17, 2007

Buttercup squash!

Buttercup squash is the squash closest to Japanese kabocha.
And that is what I eat when I forget to do grocery shopping and go short of vegetables!
Well, it had to be eaten ... it had a bruise that I hadn't noticed and was starting to go bad.

So today, I cut up a squash half into bite size - for steaming.
About a quarter was cut into slices for sautéing.
And the quarter that's left was cut into small sticks that I'll cook in miso soup.

My landlord told me that squash is used for traditional Thankgiving meal.
The squash is cut up, steamed or baked and caramelized with brown sugar or maple syrup!
Hmmm sounds sweet. A desert dish!

The bite size ones are now steamed and are waiting to go in the fridge - will be my vegetable source for the next three days before the trip.
And the sauté ones are nicely sautéed and very appetizing (still half left).

I can't believe this whole buttercup squash was just a dollar!
Next year I have to buy more at the vegetable stand :-)

No comments: