May 10, 2008

海の幸、山の幸 -Goodies of the sea and the mountain

My new addiction is Atkins Farm.

It's a farm started with apples,
but it now hosts a store that sells
all kinds of healthy and fresh food!

The seafood here is fresh, and
the vegetables are in season.
Good place for eggs and chicken,
because it's raised there in the farm!


So this week I went and bought "steamers."
When I saw "steamers" on the weekly special,
all I could think was a steaming tool, and a ship...
but steamers in New England were clams for steaming!

It was like あさりor はまぐり of 3-5 cm long.
On the top picture it's in salt water,
so the clams will let out all sand.


I also bought 'Fiddlehead Fern'
or ぜんまい.
According to the leaflet there,
it also grows in the eastern U.S.
It tasted fresh and springy!



With half the clams, I made clam rice, or はまぐりごはん.
I found a recipe online that I can just cook rice with uncooked clams
on top in the rice cooker (a little soy sauce, sake & mirin with rice),
so I tried that. It was yummy............. :)

(Still in the rice cooker)








(Served with green onion)








The rest of the clam was steamed with wine, and will be
used for tomorrow's spaghetti ~~~

(Clams steamed in wine)







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks SOOO yummy! You are amazing, being creative in using different ingredients. How did you cook the zenmai?

keiko said...

Thank you, yuki-chan :)
For zenmai, I followed the recommended instruction on the leaflet (provided by the store) to boil with slightly salted water for a short time (as you would asparagus or other greens) and wash with cold water.