April 25, 2007

"SSSS"

In a week-long trip, I went through an airport security gate five times at four airports. Out of the five, there was just one case that was more than what I expected.

It was a super early morning at Hartford, CT. The line was really long for the security checkpoint, and I joined in the line dragging my rollie backpack (carry-on) and a big purse. I had to be picked up by a shuttle at 3am, so I was really ready to get onto the plane and have the rest of the night sleep. I didn't even have make-up on. As the line was long, I started prepping for the screening; I took out a laptop from the backpack, and a ziplock bag of liquid and gel items. I thought I knew what to expect, as I had gone through this so many times. When I finally got to the ID checkpoint, the airport security person set me aside to a right lane. Mmm? This is rather unusual. What is wrong?

There was a black couple in about their 50s before me, going through this special screening. I waited behind them. When it was time, I was told to take all electronic items outside my bags, take off all jacket and scarf, and take off the laptop sleeve (foam) as well. While I was doing this, more than 10 people went through an easier screening on a left lane. I looked at the line, and found that all these people on the left lane were white! Is this some racial discrimination? Did I come to somewhere non-white shouldn't be!? Or is it the shooting incident by a Korean student leading to suspecting Asian students? (I later saw a white person going through the special screening as well, so I guess my first impression was wrong.)

When it was finally time to have me and my bag inspected, I asked the inspector why I was for selected for this special screening. He was kind and told me that it was not the inspector but the airline check-in counter who picked me. My boarding pass DID indicate "SSSS" that meant, do a special screening for this person! According to him, it often has something to do with a ticket or a flight, but could also be random. A discount paper ticket issued from Orbitz.com had some problem? Or am I stopping over at too many places? Is it because I didn't check in any baggage? Well, I guess I should think it was random...

I was kind of embarrassed as I packed my bag hastily that super early morning and some clothes and underwear were just there (not in a plastic bag or anything)... but nothing 'dangerous' was found in my bag, of course. Here's the stub of the boarding pass with "SSSS" circled with red ink!

No comments: