October 07, 2007

More autumn exploration

The church is about 15 min. walk (1.5 blocks east) away into the town of Hadley. As I am already there, after church, I explore a little bit of the town. Today's destination is a vegetable stand a block further to the east of church.

Walking past the nursery is fun, and just a few houses (lots) away is the vegetable stand I was heading for.

There were quite a few cars coming in and out, and that shows there's a good deal! The small sugar pumpkins sold for 75 cents at the nursery are 50 cents, and there were other kinds of squash as well. I picked up three bell peppers in different colors, a buttercup squash, and two small sugar pumpkins. All locally grown :-)

Buttercup squash is dark green outside, and I am thinking this is probably the same as Japanese cabocha ... I learned that there are many kinds of squash. Another popular one here is butternut squash - light yellow and looks like a big peanut shell. I brought a light backpack in my purse as I was planning on coming, and the two pumpkins went straight in there.

Walking back happily, I even saw and took a photo of a pumpkin cart! I sometimes saw there from my room window too. I sighted a potato cart too the other day. The driver noticed me take a picture, I waved and greeted, and he waved back.

My happiness was shadowed when my sandal broke, but I kept on...

Here're some more photos of the autumn leaves. Finally there're carpets of leaves forming on the ground :-D

No comments: